Hello everyone and welcome to another Fright Day. I have been enjoining the month of October immensely, watching horror movies and Treehouses of Horror regularly. Today, I want to give you a list of my top five horror genres. These are the movies I go to this time of year. I hope you enjoy.
5. Zombie- Horror wouldn’t be complete without the zombie. My personal favorite is Night of the Living Dead, the quintessential zombie movie in my opinion. What George Romero accomplished with the film is truly mind boggling. I can’t say I like very many zombie films, but the ones I do are classics.
4. Werewolf- Ah yes. The werewolf. There are some very good choices for these films, but the best is either the original The Wolfman or An American Werewolf in London. Both are highly recommended from yours truly, and the makeup is phenomenal in the latter. Truly cinematic masterpieces to be viewed over and over again.
3. Supernatural- Who doesn’t love a good ghost story? The supernatural genre covers a lot, but I equate it with ghost stories. And there’s no better ghost story than The Shining. Stephen King may not like it, but it is a haunting classic to this day. There’s also great ones like The Fog and The House on Haunted Hill. If you want a spooky movie, you can’t go wrong with ghosts.
2. Slasher- Michael. Jason. Leatherface. Freddy. The Slasher Genre is iconic, and I usually watch multiple slasher movies around Halloween. Of course, for every good slasher movie, there’s about twenty that suck. Or would at least be classified as guilty pleasures. Either way, the slasher genre is good for some classic movies.
1. Vampires- This is my absolute favorite horror genre. Whether I’m reading about them or watching films, I love the stories behind this near immortal beings. From the classics like Nosferatu and Dracula to more modern tales like Fright Night and From Dusk til Dawn, Vampires rule Halloween for me. Plus, From Dusk til Dawn has one of my favorite movie quotes ever, delivered by the George Clooney: Did they look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don’t give a fuck how crazy they are! Classic quote for a classic genre.
I know there’s a lot of genres I missed, but that’s my favorite thing about horror. There’s so much content out there to enjoy. I hope you enjoyed the article, and I will talk you all next week.
Get more Halloween content here: