Hello everyone and welcome to Monday Star Wars talk. Lately, we’ve been going over some of my favorite characters and why they hold their place in my imagination. But, just as the Force has a light and a dark side, I also have characters I don’t like. Today, I would like to present my list to you for the top five most hated characters in Star Wars.
5. Salacious B. Crumb- Some characters exist to be heroes. Some villains. This character, however, doesn’t exist for any reason I can determine. He has absolutely no bearing on the plot and does nothing to earn his place in this saga. And he also has that stupid laugh.
4. Rey- I might get flak for this, but c’mon. Rey is a poorly written character. It might not be her fault exactly, but she certainly doesn’t benefit from the story at all. She’s perfect at everything she does right away. She doesn’t need to grow simply because she already has everything she needs. Blah blah blah. It all adds up to a vanilla protagonist that has no shot at losing.
3. Poe Dameron- I promise that not the entire rest of the list is Sequel Trilogy characters. Regardless, I find Poe earns his place here. Whether he is disappearing for half the movie or being a total douchebag and trying to undermine his commanding officers, Poe is trying too hard to be Han Solo. He’s not, and he doesn’t even come close to being him. Instead he just exists to fill out the “roguish hero” template Solo set before him.
2. Jar Jar Binks- This name could easily top the list, and I wouldn’t argue with you. He is the personification of George Lucas messing with the original magic of Star Wars, and had this list been made ten years ago, he would have topped it. Nothing more really has to be said about him, and perhaps the Disney trilogy’s greatest fault is making characters we can hate as much as we hated Jar Jar.
1. DJ- Benicio Del Toro aside, this character is simply a useless insertion into the Last Jedi. He’s part of a superfluous plot line that adds absolutely nothing to the movie other than the great visuals. He’s probably supposed to be this generation’s Boba Fett as he betrayed the heroes, but he’s nowhere near as cool. Maybe I’m reading too much into his arc, but he barely has one. I can honestly say I hate this guy more than Jar Jar Binks, and that Disney really did fall to the dark side to make that happen.
Well that caps off my most hated list. Let me know if we agree on any of the entries in the comments. I think one of the things that makes Star Wars such a phenomenon is the amount of varying opinions on it’s content, which makes for great discussions. Until next time…..
And if you want more Star Wars content: